As per the recent SEBI guidelines, it is mandatory for all PAN-holders, who do not fall under the exempt category, to link their permanent account numbers (PAN) with their Aadhaar at the earliest. In the event of unsuccessful linking, the unlinked PAN shall become inoperative.
According to the Income Tax Act 1961, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) are exempt from linking PAN with Aadhaar if they do not have Aadhaar. However, the Income Tax Department’s records may not reflect their residence status as a “non-resident,” according to their PAN. This could lead to their PANs being inactive due to the lack of Aadhaar linkage.
Please check and link your PAN today for seamless processing.
Steps to be followed for linking PAN and Aadhar:
- Login under e-filing: https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/login
- Click the “e-file” Tab and navigate to “Income Tax Returns”.
- Select “View Form 26AS” tab.
- Now you’ll be redirected to the TDS-CPC website to view the form 26AS (Tax Credit Statement). Then click “Confirm”.
- Tick the check box containing “I agree to the usage and acceptance of Form 16/16A generated from TRACES” and click “Proceed”.
- Now select “View/Verify Tax Credit” and then click “View 26AS form /Tax statements”.
- In the current screen, you can check the “current status of the PAN”.
If the status is displaying as ‘Active and Operative’ then kindly share the screenshot with us at firstname.lastname@example.org to take necessary action.
But if it shows ‘Active and Inoperative’ then you have to seed the PAN with Aadhaar
Or, if you’re an ‘NRI’ kindly refer to the link below to update the ‘Current Status Of The PAN’ as ‘Active and Operative’.